Over 23 years, we have invested more than $2.2 million in 346 historic preservation projects in nearly every county in New York State.
Preserve New York grants provide early funding for the professional studies that guide preservation projects, like:
- a historic structure report for a building that has a failing roof or foundation;
- a historic landscape report to better understand a designed landscape in a park or cemetery; or
- a cultural resource survey of a historic neighborhood as the first step toward nomination to the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
Preserve New York grants have allowed many not-for-profit groups and municipalities to catalyze the restoration and protection of their historic properties by leveraging additional grants, fundraising, or by using New York State and/or Federal Rehabilitation Tax Credits.
Funding decisions are made by a panel of qualified volunteers and informed by site visits from League staff. In July, 2016, the grant panel met and selected 26 grant recipients in 18 counties to receive support totaling $202,000. Program guidelines and more information are available here.
Recent Preserve New York grant recipients, pictured above, included:
- Sylvester Manor Educational Farm (Shelter Island) - A $10,000 Preserve New York grant in 2015 helped fund a historic structure report for the manor house that will guide future restoration efforts. The site’s significance includes its architectural value, African-American history, Native American history, landscape design, historic farming resources, archeological resources, and extensive collection of family artifacts.
- Town of Greece - A $9,800 Preserve New York grant in 2015 helped fund a cultural resource survey of the KodaVista neighborhood. KodaVista was developed in the 1920s as a residential area for Eastman Kodak employees as part of the Kodak Employee Realty Corporation. The community is in a NYS Rehabilitation Tax Credit-eligible census tract and could become the only National Register Historic District in the town of Greece.