What We Do
Protect Threatened Resources Advance Public Policy Foster Local Preservation Offer Technical Assistance Make Grants and Loans Excellence Awards space
space space
spacebottom
sptl
sptl  
spbig-7 Seven to Save
spbigrecip 2010 Designees >
bigspl big01
bigrecipsp PAST Designees

2009 > 2008 >   2007 >   2006 > 

2005 > 2003 >   2002 >   2001 > 

2000 > 1999 >

sp3t
2006 Designees
thumbs01 thumbs02 thumbs03 thumbs04 thumbs05 thumbs06 thumbs07 thumbssp
thumbsclick
George Harvey Office Building
Binghamton, Broome County (1939)
  
  
landmark status: Located in local, State and National Register historic district.
  
threat: Municipal disinvestment.
  
Designed in 1939 by Binghamton architect Walter Whitlock, the  Justice Building has been called a “New Deal version of classical Federal design with Art Deco detailing.” The abandoned building stands in the center of a complex of local and state government buildings in downtown Binghamton, and is an important visual component of the surrounding Court Street Historic District which surrounds the 1898 Broome County Courthouse. In the 1990s, due to asbestos concerns, Broome County constructed a replacement facility on an adjacent parcel. In 2001, as a cost-cutting measure, the county shut off the utilities of the Justice Building, leading to further deterioration. However, if rehabilitated for offices successfully serving the needs of the county, the George Harvey Justice Building could become a vital part of a “justice hub” and an anchor for a revitalized downtown.
  
sp5t