One of the sites that gave voice to the Quadricentennial's saga of the exploration and settlement of the Hudson and Champlain valleys was the Van Hoesen House in Claverack.
Jan Van Hoesen, who built this house, was the grandson of Jan Franz Van Hoesen, original patentee of the area in the 1660s. While encroached upon by the adjacent, well-kept mobile home park, the farmstead remains intact and undisturbed from the house across the flood plain to the Claverack Creek, which then runs into the Hudson River. This site exemplifies the themes of Dutch settlement along the Hudson River.
The Van Hoesen House - and ongoing efforts to save it - will be the subject of a talk in the Hudson Area Library's Local History Speaker Series on Thursday, April 26 at 6:00 p.m. The presenter, Ed Klingler, is a co-founder of the Van Hoesen House Historical Foundation and has been a builder specializing in accurate historic restorations for over forty years – an interest sparked by the Van Hoesen House as he grew up in Columbia County in the 1960s.
The house, built between 1715 and 1724, is one of approximately seven similar brick dwellings to survive into the 21st century, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
A question and answer period and refreshments will follow the talk. Donations to the Van Hoesen House Historical Foundation can be made at this event. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 518.828.1792 x101, or visit the main desk in the library.
For more information visit www.janvanhoesenhouse.org