Preserve New York Grants - 2005
At its August meeting, the Preserve New York Grant Program panel selected 16 projects in 12 counties for support totaling $76,600. Preserve New York is a partnership grant program of the Preservation League of New York State and the Architecture, Planning and Design Program of the New York State Council on the Arts.With the announcement of the 2005 awards, the total support provided by Preserve New York since its launch in 1993 is over $1,000,000 to 176 not-for-profit groups and municipalities in support of their important local initiatives.
Preserve New York, a signature grant program of the New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA) and the Preservation League of New York State, provides support for historic structure reports, building condition reports, cultural landscape reports, and cultural resource surveys.
An applicant must be a 501c3 not-for-profit group or a unit of local government. State agencies and religious institutions are not eligible to apply. The program requires a 20% cash match toward the total project cost. Grants are likely to range between $3,000 and $10,000.
The Preserve New York Grant Program is made possible by the New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA) with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.
For more information or to discuss your application, please contact the League’s Preservation Associate or Director of Preservation.
West Side Neighborhood Association, Binghamton
Grant of $6,500 toward the cost of preparing a nomination to the State and National Registers of Historic Places for a proposed historic district in Binghamton’s West Side neighborhood. The district will include over 700 properties exemplifying a rich mix of late 19th and early 20th century architectural styles executed by some of the city’s leading architects. Much of the area is part of the historic Abel Bennet Location, a farm estate of the city’s first mayor. The nomination will be completed by consultant Mary Joan Kevlin of Norwich, Connecticut, who spent several semesters in Binghamton while teaching a survey course at Cornell University’s preservation program.
Roycroft Campus Corporation, East Aurora
Grant of $5,000 toward the cost of preparing a historic structure report for the Copper Shop of the Roycroft Campus, a National Historic Landmark. The 14 remaining buildings and structures of the campus are the physical embodiment of the artistic community founded in 1895 by author and entrepreneur Elbert Hubbard. Inspired by the English Arts and Crafts movement, Roycroft remains the best preserved and most complete complex of buildings in the United States exemplifying the “guilds” that evolved as centers of craftsmanship and philosophy. The Copper Shop was built in 1902 as a blacksmith shop by the Roycrofters themselves according to Hubbard’s instructions. The building was enlarged in 1910 and again in 1918 when it became the copper goods production facility of the arts community. The report will be prepared by Hamilton Houston Lownie Architects of Buffalo and will guide critically needed structural repairs and a restoration program for the vacant building so that it can serve as a visitors center, artisan workshop and the organization’s offices.
Friends of Historic Herkimer County, Herkimer
Grant of $7,000 toward the cost of preparing a historic structure report for the 1834 Herkimer County Jail, a National Register listed building which was included in the Preservation League’s 2005 Seven to Save endangered properties list. An excellent example of Federal style civic architecture and constructed of local limestone, the building may be best known as the jail that in 1906 held Chester Gillette, who has been accused of a sensational murder. Gillette’s story became the basis for Theodore Dreiser’s novel An American Tragedy. The jail closed in 1977 and has received minimal care since 2000. The report, to be completed by Crawford and Stearns, Preservation Planners and Architects of Syracuse, will provide a much needed rehabilitation plan to allow the building to reopen for museum and office functions.
Sackets Harbor Area Cultural Preservation Foundation, Sackets Harbor
Grant of $4,000 toward the cost of completing a historic structure report for the 1839 Stone Hospital at Madison Barracks, an Army post begun in 1817 but whose origins relate to the War of 1812. The handsome limestone building was one of the first permanent US Army hospitals in the nation. Abandoned after WWII, the former hospital has suffered significant deterioration, due in part to its location of the Lake Ontario shore. The report will guide its proposed reuse as a military heritage center with office and community meeting spaces. Holmes King Kallquist and Associates of Syracuse, who have already completed structural stabilization plans for the hospital, will prepare the report.
Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums, Syosset
Grant of $7,500 toward the cost of preparing a cultural landscape report for the 15 designed acres of the former estate, “Muttontown Meadows” in the Village of Muttontown. The main house, Nassau Hall, was built in 1904 and is believed to be the first country house commission of the architectural firm Delano and Aldrich. The grounds are attributed to the firm and were created between 1904 and 1914. Elmore Design Collaborative of Springfield, Massachusetts, will complete the report, which will guide the restoration of formal gardens and ornamental features of this actively used county park.
NEW YORK COUNTY
Harlem Preservation Foundation, Harlem
Grant of $4,000 will support reconnaissance-level survey work that will update work carried out in 1985 to identify and prioritize historic resources that should be designated as local landmarks. The consultant is Eugene Norman, former chairman of the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. The survey area is focused on the Central Harlem “valley” between 110th-125 Streets from north to south and Park Avenue to Morningside/Manhattan Avenue from east to west. Mr. Norman noted that his work will be conducted in an entirely different economic setting from that of 1985 since it was almost impossible to get loans for projects 20 years ago. The current re-development boom has increased the threat to historic resources and made residents more aware of the need to protect the architecture of Harlem. The Preservation League has worked with the Harlem Preservation Foundation in selecting the Church of St. Thomas for the Seven to Save Endangered Properties list for 2005. This project will build on the increased neighborhood visibility created by the advocacy for St. Thomas.
Fly Creek Area Historical Society, Fly Creek
Grant of $2,300 toward the cost of preparing a State and National Register of Historic Places nomination for approximately 100 late 18th to mid-19th century properties in the historic mill hamlet of Fly Creek near Cooperstown. The project is supported by Preservation Colleague group Otsego 2000 and will be completed by Jessie Ravage, Historical Research and Writing, of Cooperstown, New York. Its findings and the landmark designation itself will be especially important in addressing potential impacts of proposed Department of Transportation road work along NYS Route 28, the hamlet’s main thoroughfare.
Seneca County Historian’s Office, Waterloo
Grant of $7,000 toward the cost of completing a cultural resources survey of properties associated with Abolitionism and African American life between 1820 and 1880 in Seneca County. The survey will identify the homes, churches, business places and other sites significant to the lives of freedom seekers and their sympathizers throughout the county. The research will be completed by Judith Wellman, Historical New York Research Association of Fulton, and the results will be used for planning, heritage tourism activities and landmark designations. This project is the fourth countywide survey associated with the nationally significant themes of Abolitionism and the Underground Railroad supported by the Preservation League.
Town of Cortlandt, Cortlandt Manor
Grant of $2,000 toward the cost of completing a survey of the local historic and rural roads throughout the Town of Cortlandt. The survey, which supports the Preservation League’s Public Policy work on transportation issues, will document the built and natural features of approximately 22 miles of roadways which are characterized by stone walls, mature trees, narrow widths, and one 1897 metal truss bridge. The project will be prepared by Larson & Fisher Associates of Woodstock. The results will advance the town’s strategies to protect its scenic and rural qualities in the face of development pressures.