Estabrook Mansion/Wellington House | Fayetteville, NY
The Estabrook Mansion/Ward Wellington Ward House is a significant piece of Central NY Arts & Crafts architectural history. It was constructed between 1922-23 and is the largest work of Ward Wellington Ward that survives in the Syracuse area. The building touts significant contributions by highly acclaimed artisans such as Henry Keck Stained Glass and Moravian Pottery & Tile Works. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building is owned by a private individual who recently applied to the Town of Manlius for a zoning change of the property from Residential (1-A) to Commercial (C-A). The proposed zoning change would almost certainly lead to demolition of the property in favor of developing the area to suit more strip-mall style businesses.
Significant public push-back led this issue to be taken off the table for the April 10 Town Board Meeting. Several members of the Arts & Crafts Society of Central NY and other concerned citizens attended the meeting anyway because they felt it important to make their opinions known. The Town Board did indeed vote to permanently strike down the request so the property will not be rezoned from residential to commercial. The Town Board acknowledged the great number of letters they received in support of the building’s preservation.
4.5.19, Syracuse.com: 'Nip it now’: Onondaga County executive, legislator oppose Wellington House proposal