Preserve New York Grants - 2002
At its 2002 meeting, the Preserve New York (PNY) panel selected 12 applicants in 11 counties to receive support totaling $92,450. With the announcement of the 2002 awards, the total support provided by Preserve New York since its launch in 1993 is $770,776 to 139 not-for-profit groups and municipalities in support of their important local initiatives.
Friends of the Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronx
Grant of $11,000 toward the cost of a cultural landscape report for the Woodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx . This 400-acre cemetery was established in 1863 and designed by James C. Sidney in the “Rural Cemetery” style. Woodlawn contains 1,250 private mausoleums and 500 gardens, and is the final resting place of many notable figures, including Herman Melville, Miles Davis, Fiorello LaGuardia and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. Pressley Associates, Inc. of Cambridge, Massachusetts will complete the report and Charles Birnbaum of the Cultural Landscape Foundation in Washington , DC will assist in its implementation.
Town of Roxbury, Roxbury
Grant of $4,339 toward the cost of preparing a National Register of Historic Places nomination in the hamlet of Roxbury. The project will examine up to 200 buildings for possible expansion of an existing historic district, further extending the benefits of landmark designation in the community. The survey, which supports the goals of the town’s comprehensive plan, will be completed by Jesse Ravage of Cooperstown.
Quitman Resource Center for Preservation, Rhinebeck
Grant of $11,000 toward the cost of a historic structure report for the Neher/Elseffer House, a remarkably intact 18th century building related to the region’s Palatine history. Saved from possible demolition, the Quitman Center plans to restore and interpret the house and its farmstead setting. The report will be prepared by Crawford and Stearns, Architects and Preservation Planners, of Syracuse. They will be assisted by volunteers from the Quitman Center and Hudson Valley Vernacular Architecture.
Village of Hamburg, Hamburg
Grant of $8,000 toward the cost of completing a reconnaissance survey of historic and architecturally significant buildings and sites throughout the Village of Hamburg. The survey responds to recommendations in the community’s master plan and a highway improvement project for NYS Route 62 and will be prepared by Bero Architecture of Rochester. The results will be used by the village’s recently established historic preservation commission.
Essex County, Elizabethtown/Westport
Grant of $3,000 toward the cost of preparing a National Register of Historic Places nomination for the Essex County Fairgrounds in Westport. Twelve buildings and structures of this 19th century fairgrounds will be documented including the grandstand, racetrack, agricultural center, and Floral Hall. The nomination will be completed by Adirondack Architectural Heritage of Keeseville and will be a basis for stewardship and interpretation of this historic fairgrounds.
Town of Willsboro, Willsboro
Grant of $7,500 toward the cost of completing a reconnaissance survey of historic and architecturally significant buildings and sites throughout the Town of Willsboro. The survey supports a growing commitment to preservation in this rural Lake Champlain / Adirondack community and will guide revitalization and tourism promotion efforts. The project will be completed by Adirondack Architectural Heritage of Keeseville.
NEW YORK COUNTY
Friends of the Upper East Side Historic Districts, New York City
Grant of $4,000 toward the cost of completing a National Register of Historic Places nomination for an expanded Upper East Side Historic District. The project will be prepared by Friends staff, trustee volunteers, and consultant Claudia Cooney of Allee King Rosen and Fleming of New York City. The proposed expansion will provide greater recognition and protection for approximately 350-400 commercial buildings, mansions, rowhouses and apartment buildings constructed between the 1850’s and 1940’s.
Matilda Joslyn Gage Foundation, Fayetteville
Grant of $7,000 toward the cost of a historic structure report for the c.1854 Greek Revival style former home of Matilda Joslyn Gage, a nationally-known leader in the Abolition and Womens’ Rights movements. Located in a National Register historic district, Gage’s residence will be restored and interpreted to reflect her life in Fayetteville and her many contributions on behalf of the rights of African Americans, Native Americans, and women. The report will be prepared by Crawford and Stearns, Architects and Preservation Planners, of Syracuse.
Newburgh Preservation Association, Dutch Reformed Church Restoration Committee
Grant of $15,000 toward the cost of a historic structure report for the former Dutch Reformed Church. Owned by the City of Newburgh, the monumental building was designed in 1835 by Alexander Jackson Davis in the Greek Revival style and is a National Historic Landmark. The HSR, to be completed by Mesick Cohen Wilson Baker Architects, LLP of Albany, will provide recommendations for critically needed repairs and will guide restoration as this landmark assumes new community uses.
Heritage Foundation of Oswego, Oswego
Grant of $3,111 toward the cost of preparing National Register of Historic Places nominations for commercial buildings in the City of Oswego. The project will support the revitalization efforts currently underway in the West Bank business district, an area of mid-to late-19th century commercial blocks on the Oswego River. The project will be completed by Cynthia Carrington of Syracuse.
Village of Cobleskill, Cobleskill
Grant of $6,500 toward the cost of a cultural resource survey of the Village of Cobleskill. The project will provide a much-needed update of survey data to guide municipal review within the village’s historic districts. The project will also be the basis for the preparation of design guidelines. The survey will be prepared by Neil Larson of Woodstock, New York .
Wayne County, Lyons
Grant of $12,000 toward the cost of a historic structure report for the H.G. Hotchkiss Essential Oil Company Building in the Village of Lyons on the Erie Canal. The 1880 building was the industrial plant for the H.G. Hotchkiss firm, a national leader in the production and distribution of mint oil between 1839 and 1990. For over a decade the building has been underutilized and is in need of rehabilitation. The report, to be prepared by Bero Architecture of Rochester , will guide building repair and interpretation and enhance its important link to the canal and community revitalization efforts now underway.