In 2014, the Preservation League of New York State worked with Troy Architectural Program (TAP) to launch the Industrial Heritage Reuse Project. This project was designed to breathe new life into upstate New York’s vacant and underutilized industrial buildings.
Along with a symposium held on December 15, 2014, the reports below represent the final output of this collaborative effort.
International Harvester Company
960 Broadway, Albany
1910 - 47,000+ SF
This four-story brick building in the heart of Albany's northern warehouse district was built as a parts-distribution warehouse for the International Harvester Company. By 1951 it was being used for wholesale liquor distribution. It reflects the neighborhood’s industrial history with an intact canopied loading dock and the ghost of old train tracks running alongside. While this building has been vacant for years, it is only a block away from several recently-rehabilitated industrial buildings that now house restaurants, bars, and businesses. The new owner seeks to rehabilitate the structure for an adaptive use.
Clock Tower Building
37 Prospect Street, Amsterdam
1922 - 500,000 SF
Built in 1922 as the corporate headquarters of Stephen Sanford & Sons, a carpet and rug manufacturer, the building has offices on the top floors and manufacturing space on the lower floors. Known as Bigelow-Sanford following a 1929 merger, the mill’s operations moved south in the 1950s, and the building was little used until the 1970s when it became headquarters for Coleco, Inc., manufacturers of Cabbage Patch Kids dolls. The Sun Tzu Energy Drink Corporation now occupies 30% of the building, with another 30% occupied by office, retail and storage.
285 2nd Street, Troy
c. 1840 - 40,000 SF
This circa 1840, four-story building was home to Empire Stove Works through the 19th century. Empire Stove Works was the second largest stove plant on the East Coast and employed a dam on the Poestenkill and water wheel to generate power. Years after the stove foundry closed, Lindy’s Hardware opened in the building and operated from about 1920 to 1999. Currently vacant and for sale, this building most recently housed the Irish Mist bar, from 2001-2013.
599 River Street, Troy
1899 - 28,000 SF
Built as the Wilbur, Campbell, Stephens Company Factory in 1899, this brick masonry building has rows of round arched windows and pronounced metal cornice. Arched windows with raised archivolts are employed for the third and fifth floors of the east (main) façade. In the second half of the 20th century, the building housed the Mooradian’s Furniture Store. The building is currently vacant and for sale.
1410 Erie Boulevard, Schenectady
19th century - 20,000 SF
This railroad freight building, directly in front of the active railroad tracks in Schenectady, was most recently used as a Grossman’s Bargain Outlet store. Railroad ties remain in the pavement, leading past the loading docks on each side of this approximately 20,000 square foot one-story building with a two-story office wing. The building is currently vacant and for lease by the owners.
The project was supported by the J.M. Kaplan Fund with additional assistance from the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor.